(Move your mouse over the stars to rate)
Alternate Name′s of Asthma
- Bronchial asthma
- Chronic asthma
- Asthma is a respiratory disorder and affects the lungs.
- It is one of the most common, severe and chronic illness that occurs in childhood.
- Asthma is a condition in which the airways carrying air to-and-fro to the lungs become swollen and sore. This swelling interrupts the normal breathing process blocking the airways and produces muscle tightening, swelling of the mucus and produces thick mucus. It also leads to excessive coughing, wheezing and tightness in the chest in children.
- In case of severe asthma the child can experience reduction in the supply of blood oxygen and shortness in breath.
- The severity of asthma differs from person to person. Generally children suffering from asthma are able to recover from the condition and its symptoms completely, until something causes another attack or episode.
- One of the popular causes of school absenteeism and hospitalization in children is said to be asthma.
- In the year 2003, children between the age of 5 and 17 reported one asthma attack during the past year and happen to miss as many as 12.8 million days of school as a result of this dreadful asthma condition.
There is no specific cure for asthma. However it can certainly be controlled. To prevent asthma, the American lung association has dedicated and made prevention of childhood asthma the top priority. The child and the mother should gain enough understanding about asthma and asthma treatment which will ensure better control of the illness.