Dermatitis, abrasion, irritation, itching, dryness, pruritus and burning sensation occur quite frequently following the Holi celebration with colours.
Dermatitis is the inflammation of the skin. It is an allergic reaction to a substance. Pruritus is a skin discomfort causing the person to scratch constantly.
Moreover, because of the chemicals in the colours and playing in the sun/dust outside, hair can turn brittle and extremely dry with the holi colour.
Skin specialist suggest avoid using gulals and other colors; try these precautionary measures to have a healthy holi:
• Before playing Holi, apply a thick layer of cream/sunscreen lotion/Vaseline or coconut oil to all body parts exposed, including the face, a particularly sensitive area.
• Protect your hair with a generous layer of oil and cover with a cap or a scarf, before playing Holi.
• Washing off the colour from the skin and hair is very important. It is advised not to rub the skin vigorously with soap. Preferably use cleansers and moisturizers to rub off the colour. Bathing with hot water fixes the colour on the skin and makes it difficult to get rid of, so use cold water instead.
• Never use kerosene, petrol or spirits to remove the stains from the skin.
• Apply calamine lotion over the affected area of your skin. Avoid exposure in the sunlight as it may further harm the skin.
Consult a skin specialist in case of any skin discomfort that does not subside after a few hours of playing Holi or feels particularly itchy.
These are certain chemicals found in Holi colours and reported effects on health.
• Black Lead Oxide may cause renal failure.
• Green Copper Sulphate can lead to eye allergy, puffiness, temporary blindness.
• Silver Aluminium Bromide is a carcinogen/cancer inducing.
• Blue Prussian Blue may cause contact dermatitis.
• Red Mercury Sulfate is highly toxic can cause skin cancer.
Try herbal products like rose petals and Tesu flowers and sandalwood paste!
Posted by:AnonymousPosted:2 year agoNumber Of Replies:0Number Of Views:1084