Anorexia is a common kind of eating disorder in which people have a strong fear that they will put on extra weight. Due to this fear, such kinds of people eat very little food and sometimes become very slim.
Anorexia not only adversely affects the body but it also affects the mind drastically. People may start by dieting and after a time they lose control over it. You will think about weight, food and dieting all the time. Your body image will be distorted. People around you will keep telling you that you are thin but you still think of yourself as a fat person. If the latest reports from Hollywood are to be believed, Angelina Jolie currently weighs just 99 lbs( 45kgs). That for a person who is 5 feet 7 inches tall makes her fall into the ‘underweight’ category. Is Angelina Jolie Anorexic too??
Causes of Anorexia
The exact cause of anorexia is still unknown. It is said that anorexia occurs as a result of -
- Social, Physical or emotional triggers
- Excessive dieting brings about a change in the metabolism process and the functions of the brain causing severe stress to the body
- These changes are likely to trigger some kind of eating disorder
- Genetics also has a major role to play in anorexia. People suffering from eating disorders are most likely to have history of eating disorders, mood disorder such as depression or anxiety and obesity
- A mixture of some personality traits like perfectionism and lack of self-confidence and social and cultural pressure also plays an important part in this eating disorder
- In some teenagers, anorexia can be a method to deal with teenage challenges and stress
- Stressful events occurring in one's life such as divorce, death of loved ones and moving can also trigger anorexia
Precautions and Treatment of Anorexia
Individuals suffering from anorexic nervosa require treatment. Very often, it needs visiting a health care professional with simultaneous counseling sessions. The aim of treatment is to restore a healthy eating pattern and subsequently gaining healthy weight.
When you achieve healthy weight, it not only helps your body but it also helps your mind to recover from this eating disorder. When your body and mind comes out from the starvation mode, your thought process will also see a major improvement. And you will be able to deal with your eating disorders tactfully rather than letting obsessive thoughts control you.
Initial Treatment would include:
- Psychological Counseling: You will gain knowledge on healthy ways of thinking about your body and food. Family therapy involving family support will also help greatly in your process of recovery.
- Nutritional Counseling: You can gain knowledge on controlling your diet from a qualified nutritionist. You will also discover healthy patterns of eating and get a better understanding of the facts of nutrition.
- Medical Treatment: If starvation or malnutrition has begun to affect your body, you need to get medical treatment. Your doctor will take care and treat the various medical conditions occurred due to anorexia such as depression, heart ailments and osteoporosis.
- Family Therapy: In this therapy, parents are made aware of the anorexia condition and help children in changing their exercise and diet patterns which includes preparing healthy meals for their child.
Some of the other alternatives preferred by Indian people in comparison to other medications available are:
All these ancient medications are the most preferred forms of treatments not only in reference to anorexia but, is also preferred as it cures the ailments from the physical and spiritual point of view.