The word Diwali has its origin from the Sanskrit word "Deepavali" which means "rows of light". Diwali is the festival that falls on the night of “Amavasya” (no moon) but the “diyas” we light gives us the message of spreading light and driving the darkness away. On Diwali day, shops are packed with people buying fire crackers; mothers are busy preparing special dishes for family feasts. Late evening is the time for a special Pooja at home, and illuminating the houses with rows of oil lamps, candles and colourful lanterns.
Each day of the festival has a significance in life -
Balipadyami - “Truth alone wins”
Healthy eating is not about strict nutrition philosophies, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about feeling great, having more energy, and keeping yourself as healthy as possible. As the saying goes “Truth alone wins”, it’s mostly the kind of food that makes the person you are.
Here are a few ways to eat healthy -
- Eat enough calories but not too many
- Eat a wide variety of foodsespecially vegetables and fruits
- Keep portions moderate, especially high-calorie foods
- Don’t be the food police, you can enjoy your favorite sweets and fried foods in moderation
- An excellent way to add healthy sweetness to your meals is by using sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes or yams and reduce your craving for other sweets
Naraka Chaturdashi - "Burn the evil"
Burning the evil need not be burning the idols of evil powered Gods only. This can be about burning evil thoughts in our minds and the unhealthy foods that have made their way into our lives.
Let’s make a conscious effort to give up the unhealthy eating pattern -
- Do not rush through your meals. Take time to chew your food slowly, savoring every bite… Reconnect with the joy of eating.
- Avoid stress while eating. Try taking some deep breaths prior to beginning your meal, or light candles and play soothing music to create a relaxing atmosphere.
- Listen to your body; ask yourself if you are really hungry. It actually takes a few minutes for your brain to tell your body that it has had enough food, so eat slowly.
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism.
- Eating small, healthy meals throughout the day can help you ward off snack attacks.
Lakshmi Pooja - "Wealth is Worship"
Life is not merely to be alive but to be healthy and wealthy. A Spanish proverb says "A man who is too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools". Health and Wealth decides the quality of life we lead. If you want to lead a happy life, wealth and health are both important.
Here is a gentle reminder of all the wonderful benefits of healthy eating -
- A long life is worth living only when there’s quality, and good eating patterns provide a good quality of life
- Happiness need not be temporary, but can be a permanent one. By eating healthy foods you'll suffer less from those terrible ups and downs that make you moody
- Vitality can be achieved by healthy eating along with exercise
- The better you sleep, the more rested you feel when you wake up
Sesame Seed (Til) - Khoya laddu
2 cups khoya
1 1/2 cups of coarsely powdered roasted sesame seeds (til)
Powdered sugar to taste
Kesar, chopped almonds and pistas for decoration
- Roast the khoya on low flame till it is very light golden yellow in color.
- Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Then add coarsely powdered roasted sesame seeds and mix it.
- Add powdered sugar when the above mixture is luke warm.
- Mix well and shape into small balls. If the mixture is too hot, then the sugar will melt, so care has to be taken that mixture is not hot.
- Arrange in a plate and decorate with kesar, chopped almonds and pistas.