Know About Your Kitchen Pharmacy
Herbs and spices not only spice up your meal but they boost your health and relieve illness and health conditions. Since ancient years different spices and herbs are been part of the kitchen pharmacy. They are used in small amount, but have immense health benefits.
There are following health benefits we get from herbs and spices -
- They increase digestibility of food.
- They have antiseptic properties eg. – turmeric
- They help and protect body from infections and illness by inhibiting their entry into the blood stream.
- Spices like cardamom, fenugreek, and cinnamon have beneficial effect in diabetes, hypertension.
There are some of the spices which one must incorporate into daily life to get its health benefit -
- TURMERIC - in everyday living we know turmeric has first and important role to play – giving appealing color to the food. Right amount of turmeric in seasoning gives mild flavor and nice color to your preparations. It is also used as an antiseptic agent on cuts and wounds. It has indirect beneficial effect in diabetes. It helps in lowering blood sugar levels. Turmeric is used in commercial beauty products, in some sunscreen lotions. Raw turmeric is used as ginger in food preparations.
- CHILLIES - surprised that chilies also have healing property? It contains capsaicin which contributes to its healing property. They are helpful in hay fever, helps in relieving pain. It releases endorphins in brain, which has pain relieving property same as morphine. Chilies contain high in vitamin C.
- CORIANDER – It is sued as fresh leaves or dried seeds both have health benefits. It is a good source of vitamin C. it helps in improving digestion. Adding green leaves of coriander increases fiber in the diet. 1-2 tsp of juice of coriander added to buttermilk helps in indigestion, nausea, hepatitis, ulcers etc. Drinking coriander water helps in improving digestion, lowering cholesterol etc. For this coriander seeds must be soaked in water for whole night.
- FENUGREEK – this spice is also used as leafy vegetable or seeds. It is well known for lowering blood sugar levels in diabetic. Methi seeds can be taken early in the morning or can be added to preparation in a powdered form. It helps in maintaining good metabolism and preventing constipation. It have detoxification effect.
- ASAFOTIDA - it is used as a digestive aid in seasoning. It has strong flavor and one must store it in airtight container. Its flavor in enhanced when added to oil or ghee. In case of stomach ache, indigestion you can add a pinch of hing to buttermilk and have it after the meal. Raw hing is given to patients with bronchitis. It is useful in neuro-muscular disorders.
These are some of the spices which are used as home remedies in day to day life. Unknowingly we make use of them in cooking but this information will you insight on the health benefits and its application in different health conditions.