Asana literally means posture. Asanas make the body strong and healthy, regulate breathing, ensure proper digestion of food, increase longevity, calm the mind and body and strengthen will power. Bhujang means snake or cobra. Bhujangasana therefore means the cobra pose.
Bhujangasana is beneficial for people who suffer from lower back pains. It straightens the back and helps relieve stress.
To do the Bhujangasana, follow the four simple steps:
- Lie on your stomach and place both hands palms down, on the floor beside your shoulders.
- Inhale and without lifting the navel from the floor, raise the chest and head, arching the back. Obtain as complete a stretching of the body as possible.
- Once you reach the final stage as shown in the image, hold for 5-10 counts and breath normally. At an exhale, slowly lower your upper body to the floor.
- Hold the aasan for 5-10 seconds; relax to normalise your breath and repeat.
Bhujangasana or Bhujang Yoga Video
Benefits of Bhujangasana
- Beneficial for the adrenal glands.
- Tones ovaries,uterus and liver.
- Strengthens the muscles of the back, abdomen and entire upper body.
- Aids in relief and elimination of menstrual irregularities
- Relieves constipation
- Makes the spine flexible
- Relieves flatulence (gas)
- Adjusts displacements in the spinal column
- Beneficial for back ache due to overwork or long hours of standing.
Keep in Mind
Bhujangasan is not recommended if you are suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, hyperthyroid, back injury or are pregnant. Women should not practice any asana during their monthly period.
For more information on Yoga, diet, nutrition, health, weight loss or fitness contact DesiDieter Health and Diet Experts.
More Yoga Videos